Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Ok fine something more recent with no pics to support the drama-

Instead of heading across the living room to the laundry I stayed here and perused the electronic catch-up available and was inspired by my friend Jaci's story of her lack of doctor trips and how her check-up for the pair of boys was "entertaining."
So, you have it here: the story which sealed the deal that we are and forever will be a 4 person family-
Little perfect cutie child had his 9 mnth check up not too long ago and we have had a lot of concerns with rashes and ear infections, etc (it should be a post of its own). Unfortunately to get to him at daycare, I must go through the preschool room where Edmond hangs out...I have sneaked by numerous times dropping milk off at lunch break for reasons we don't need to discuss here and now-
However, his little snot nosed "friends" always have to tell him when I am there.
"Edmond! your mom is here!" as he is smashing toys oblivious.
So, I think I make it through. I dash into the "mobile infant room" and start to head out the side door where I am parked.
But, I hear heaving panic "Mom!" screams that sound all too familiar. So, I go over to the pre-school side where they are all geared up ready to go outside in a line except for my irrational child and no one is consoling him. He walks over to me with a few more heaves indicating he wants to come with me...the teacher says she tried to tell him I needed to go to the Dr or something, but he wasn't having it. I didn't have time to make him and/or myself feel better about the situation so, I looked at him and threatened that he better be the best boy there ever was...and we were off, him in his snowpants, boots, hat, mittens, scarf- the works.
We get to the doctor and he sits next to me on the waiting chairs and asks for his books (which I usually bring in his backpack for distraction during our frequent dr trips). I remind him he is not supposed to be there so I didn't bring them. Angel boy is sleeping away in the carseat as I am completing the 8 page long survey about his development and realizing what an unobservant parent I am.
Edmond is doing well, as he normally doesn't even last a minute in the waiting room chair.
He had selected a magazine that he was looking at, trying to talk to me about. He was informed that I had numerous questions to answer and couldn't talk about his magazine with him. 

Well, the story is getting a little long already so, I will sum it up by saying the appt was at 3:30pm, I made 3 phone calls to Ian to see if he could come get Edmond and inquiring how close he was (as he wasn't close enough), Edmond spilled all the ear pieces in the basket for the thermometers, requested that all the Dr checks done on Karch were also done on him, constantly talked to me while the doctor did, turned on the liquid nitrogen during Karch's tympanogram (probably my favorite), and then the lab tech couldn't find Karch's vein for an allergy panel- needless to say I was a sweating stress ball.
We ended up leaving after two hours with an order for blood draw at the hospital where they "were better equipped" and the doctor meeting us in the lab room while we were waiting for a more highly skilled tech to attempt to poke my son while he screamed and I couldn't comfort him because I was trying to monitor my terrorist- I tried to tell her about the nitrogen but she informed me she had already heard, but laughed saying it was their fault- wow!

In conclusion, Karch does not need ear tubes (yet) and does not have any allergies and I don't want to imagine what that would have been like with 3 children, so too bad for my girl skills.  Needless to say ian was not devastated, but he keeps talking about how our next son will be Thor...(edmond pronounces it "Sthwor"...as they say at the child care center..."No, Thank you!"

1 comment:

Jaci said...

Oh Christal! That story is awesome. I am glad that Karch doesn't have any sort of allergies or need tubes (yet) or any of that...it is awful when they put you through the ringer (the boys) in the doctor's office. It'll bring out the crazy sweats in anyone! :o)