Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Edge of your Seat?

I am sure everyone has been frantically checking in to see how a day in life of the federal government goes- so here is what I think after three days...(:
As expected, as far as starting a new job goes lots of paperwork, but as a surprise to me they assume you know how to do everything and/or can follow directions. What? They of all people should know people cannot fill out forms alone!
However, I survived that or so I think- I still need to pass another intense background check involving interviewing people and stuff- I could not use relatives, but I hope I picked the right friends-ugh (they recommend college roommates...hmmm)
Otherwise, I have been watching videos on ethics and reading intense stuff on-line about codes of conduct (80 pgs.)- oh yes and the history of SSA (116 pgs. with intermittent quizzes).
BTW they love to have acronyms for everything! It is like texting out of your mouth--ok maybe not. Oh, one more fabulous thing- encryption oooooh.
The people are not quite as bad as I anticipated- fun yet quirky I would give them- my first lunch was spent with a man talking about wildlife in his backyard? Should I post the address so you can join us?
For those of you you have spent more than 10 min with me you know I can say things that shock people when I mean nothing by them- it has only happened a few times. (Sorry, Jaci once was with the HR) I asked her a question about a form and she said, "I have the 50 pg. manual in the file cabinet." without thinking how bad it might come across, I said "Oh, and you are not going to tell me the answer just give me the manual?" Technically, she didn't say she didn't know the answer...oh well the woman in the next cubicle laughed.
I told Ian I am ready for part-time work. I feel like all I do is prepare for the next time I work. I really miss open access to food and beverage. I didn't realize how great that was- never having to pack anything or worry about when and what you could eat, having ice, beverages, dishes, etc. I'll adjust I am sure.
Also, I pump in an interview room with a door without a lock and but big old window in it...I sit on the floor to hide and pray no one busts in. Edmond better appreciate this when he can! In addition, my breaks are timed so preparing and transport leaves me a measly 10 min. to __ (I don't know what word would be best here- pump, secrete, get to business, whatev)

5 comments:

Mollie said...

OMG, I LOL about the wildlife in the backyard and the comment on the quirky people! Only because I believe Ryan's aunt Mary works at SSA and quirky would be a NICE way of describing her! It sounds like your typical first few days on a new job - hang in there, the quirkiness is probably contagious! hee hee hee!!

Christal said...

Did you tell me this before? Are you why I got the job? We have two Marys but I am going to guess his aunt is Olson? If so, she bought us dough nuts today and apparently threw out the Asst. Mang.'s lunch one day because she had the same container as her and was confused when she opened it...If it is the other one I have a story about her already too... much better but she is short so I don't think it is her.

Jaci said...

Ha! No apologies necessary for the HR slam, bring it on. Welcome to the 9-5 lifestyle baby, ain't it great? Can't wait to hear about your crazy coworkers (just make sure that you don't give them the blog site so you have to censor yourself). I deal with the SSA office a lot here--and whoo...I tell ya...there is a lot of red tape & forms, that's for sure! Maybe that's just Mpls.?

Mollie said...

Ha ha, no - it's the short one (it's Esther's sister, should be a dead giveaway that they are sisters now that you know). Mary Steffes. Can't wait to hear the story!!!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.