Two weeks have flown by already! With his life starting out more rough than expected- him not even liking his bassinet on our first night home, throughout these weeks I had been grateful for my two hour spurts of sleep at night with him in the bassinet after extensive efforts with swaddling. However, his day time napping sprawled out in a variety of places with lights and TV on for sometimes as long as 3-4 hrs. I knew I could do more. After Dad went back to work Weds. 1/2, my bedtime efforts had to move to the living room where Edmond could get his grunt on. (His nursery floor is really scheduled for Mon.- I swear) I tried documenting his night to see if I was just being irrational and selfish, but I wasn't): I read a Dr. Sears article on the internet 31 ways to get your child to sleep and to stay asleep. I have been trying combinations of everything! Music, blankets, and bedding of all types, a sleep positioner, a lamp on and off in a variety of locations, eating as long as he wanted or timed 15 min each side, etc. Until last night...I found the ticket!!
Yesterday morning started out with family pictures at Jane Bailey, a gift from Grandma Wynnemer, so an hour of him naked being juggled around. (He only peed 3 times- not bad except for the one in Daddy's arms dripping down to his shoes) From there he would not wake up. He squirmed a little and would nurse a bit, but never open his eyes until about 8pm. Now, for those of you who think you need to keep a baby awake so they sleep at night, this is not true. I have read and believe that the better and more they sleep through a day the better they will sleep through a night and boy did he prove that to us last night! He finally woke up and stayed up from about 8-11pm. When I went to put him down I thought to myself how cold our large room felt, so I brought in the space heater (Dr. Sears says cold sheets are never good- warm them with a hot towel out of the dryer or something). I plugged that sucker in and blasted it right toward his little bed. Now, there was another variable in the equation last night, a swaddling blanket sleeper that velcros his poor little limbs to his body. However, it was eliminated from credit when I jolted up in bed at 3am and he was not yet awake. I thought for sure he was a victim of SIDS, but thankfully, he just was loving the 90 degree sauna we had going on in the room and his little arms had found their way out of the sleeper and were casually resting above his head!! Brilliant- who would have thought? I wanted to run out and post right then- I was just too proud to go back to bed- what a victory- how lame am I?
Enjoying some fall FUN
13 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment