so I am trying to go to the bathroom and I can hear the nurse, Ian, and the Dr chatting outside the door-so I think I can do this later right?
I ease back out of the bathroom with my two monitors and my IV so the Dr can break my water...he is wearing a white USA soccer shirt tucked into navy dockers- I tell him that is interesting attire for baby delivery..Ian was offended...the Dr informed me he would change-I don't know why these people think this is going to be an all day thing-
So, he struggles a bit to break my water but is successful- he announces he is supposed to go back to the office but thinks he might just have to turn around so he will stick around and come check me in 1/2 hr...things become a little foggy from here but it involved at least two more contractions where I felt like I needed to push- so the nurse taught me this popping thing I could do with my mouth which is supposed to prevent me from pushing-- I just don't understand if that is what my body wants to do why it is so dangerous...
Anyway, through the fog there were a few more checks I think a 7 and then an 8 and a 9 all in less than the half hour he was supposed to check me-
Ian informed the nurse not to leave him alone because he didn't know what to tell me and then of course- she says I am just going to step out for a few minutes-- and the next contraction the urge to push was so unbearable I made him pull the emergency cord-
I think this check was the 9.5 so they paged the dr- I had been on my left side since the water breaking as there was a dip in heart-rate during a contraction- so as the Dr walked in and I was instructed to roll over so he could check me the nurse announces those disgusting words "She's crowning!" and oh I felt it!
he asks me to give a gentle push and so I do that and the stinging sensation seems to subside- so he says one more big push...I said aren't we waiting for a contraction? He replied no the head is out...we are going for the shoulders...I said "what?!" Ian is disgusted I didn't feel it- like I said oh I felt it lots of stinging and then relief- geesh. So, a push and he was out! crying like a mad man- he had huge fluid filled pockets around his eyes- they said that is from rapid exit--
So, for all those people who ask how many pushes- it depends if you count the uncontrollable pushing during contractions and then the "gentle push" and the shoulder push- whatever you would like to tally me at- I told some people it was way worse than the first time but the more I think about the time line- it was really only an hour of horrible suffering.
we originally thought he looked just like Edmond but have since decided he looks more like me- I tell you the Woods have recessive traits...
Enjoying some fall FUN
13 years ago

2 comments:
TMI
Love the story. The suspense of the arrival was KILLING me! ha ha! So glad it went well - you are meant to deliver babies, keep it up!!! =) And it was NOT TMI, I enjoy hearing birth stories, I think they're fascinating how different every story is!
Post a Comment