Friday, June 25, 2010

Cont.- sorry so easily distracted...

The nurse strolls in around 730am. She runs through a bunch of questions and I start quizzing her about protocols- as far as if my contractions are so far apart or my cervix is dilated to x cm then we do not use poticin- she seemed confused as no one inquired about this before- She proceeded to reply they normally don't check, but she needed to call the Dr because he didn't put in orders. (he probably assumed I wouldn't need this crap) She tried to check me but said my cervix kept moving out of the way- I informed her the dr referred to it as floppy...she had to call in recruits to check me- awesome! Some little old granny with bright red lipstick on the center of her lips and her front teeth came in and went for the gold. I asked if she was picking his nose while she was in there but she didn't respond- she said at a 5 with a bulging bag of waters.
She talked to him and reported he wanted her to start pitocin and he would be over in 45 min to break my water. I warned her I had been told I had "valvey" veins and would be difficult to get an IV in- she thanked me for telling her and picked one out on the top of my right hand...announcing she was going to "try" for that one- I held in my comment on that but to my surprise Ian said something about, "I don't think that is what people want to hear..." we laughed and she thanked us for our perspective- Thanks to us, no one will hear that from her again-she got it in on the first "try" so that is great but it hurt- I didn't think you were supposed to feel it...she proceeded to ask questions including the open ended one..."is there anything else we should know about your care while you are here?" I informed yes- no wincing- when she didn't get it I said do not feel sorry for me. (that came from my last nurse wincing and then asking if I was sure I didn't want pain meds) Perfect. It is about 10 min before my Dr is going to arrive and she announces she is going to get the pitocin...I said "pitocin?!" what is in this bag? oh that is just fluids to keep you hydrated...Ian thinks this is hysterical as I have been getting angrier with every contraction blaming my placebo pitocin- ba ha ha
She comes back with the pitocin and Ian surprises me again by announcing I really don't want it, so can we just wait until the Dr gets there? She informs me it is my labor I can do what I want. Hooray!
While we an give Ian two bonus points for speaking for me because I have already exited to "baby planet" as some article called it (where you go when you have contractions...) I just didn't feel like talking and you probably wouldn't like what comes out of my mouth anyway- I am sorry I just don't feel like making conversation or decisions while I am suffering through pain and trying to be polite while everyone stares at me- but then I have to think they are used to someone being drugged up and think I am a crazy anyway... He scores negative points for having soccer on the TV with that obnoxious buzzing that occurs the whole time and kept drooling over food-
When he had his protein shake in the morning before we left I specifically asked him how much time that bought me- he replied he could go get something...if you have ever spent more than 3 hrs with Ian you know when he is hungry he has a one track mind...I informed him I didn't want him wandering around looking for food while I was in labor-but that is where the convo ended...it picked up again during a contraction when he saw a commercial for some food and he was like ooh waffles doesn't that sound good? and I didn't hear it but apparently the Dr mentioned something about pizza when he was in and Ian wanted to talk about that too- ugh.
still more but I really need to shower before my sleeping baby is hungry again...

No comments: